Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week 1

Lady V here...

A few highlights from this week:
  • My transition from intern to employee was solidified this week when I was given my own office :) I can't wait to decorate it and completely move in. I've decided to wait until the end of this internship period to make the move though...I don't want to rub it in any of the other intern's faces.
  • I've been working out as much as possible and eating better than I have in the past. I feel the weight coming off and look forward to reaching my goal.
  • I babysit the most adorable little girl. Going to watch her is the highlight of my week. We went for a walk along the Hudson River, which was so beautiful (see picture below, which I didn't take, but is where I walked) After the walk, on the way back to the house, she proceeded to accidentally pee on herself, due to a pull-up that was falling down. That was fun.



Like I mentioned in my previous post, I had to do some research for my job on cold calling. It seems like I'll be starting this up either next week or the week after, but here are the main tips that I've learned about being a successful cold caller:
  1. Be prepared. Do your research on who you are calling and what they do. You want to offer them something that is a good fit for them and helps them out as well. On the same note, know everything possible about your product. Be prepared for all possible questions.
  2. Have a goal and a plan written out, but not a script! Come up with an idea for the opening line, but don't write it out. Be natural and positive. The person on the other line will be able to hear it. Come up with a goal for the call, whether it's setting an appointment to talk face-to-face, or that you will send them an e-mail further showing your services (with a follow-up phone call soon after). Develop a list of questions that will engage the person on the other end of the phone. If they don't seem too interested in what you have to say, ask them about their current situations in regards to what you are saying. People like to talk about themselves :)
  3. Above all, stay positive and be persistent. The more calls you make, the easier it gets and the better you get at it. Don't get frustrated and be persistent. "Eighty percent of new sales are made after the fifth contact, yet the majority of sales people give up after the second call."


Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment